DAWSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE
COLLEGE PRESIDENT PROCEDURES CP 2-4
APPROVED: December 16, 2013
EFFECTIVE: December 16, 2013
REFERENCES: BP 2-4; DCCU Labor Agreement § 11.2
EVALUATION OF CLASSIFIED STAFF
Employees should receive frequent feedback—positive and constructive—throughout the year from their supervisors. However, an employee is entitled to Dawson Community College Unified representation during any appearance before a supervisor or administrator concerning any disciplinary action (see DCCU Labor Agreement § 11.2). The intent of this formal evaluation cycle is to document performance and set performance goals for the coming year. The performance evaluation cycle for classified staff will begin in September and end in August each year. The cycle will include three stages.
STAGE ONE: SELF-EVALUATION
On the first Monday of August, Human Resources will send each employee an email message with a link to an online survey instrument. Classified employees will complete the survey instrument by the second Friday of August. The survey instrument will enable the employee to conduct a self-evaluation using the following questions. In addition to rating his or her performance using Likert scales (see below), the survey instrument will include a textbox after each question for the employee to provide evidence or data supporting her or her response.
Self-Evaluation Questions and Answer Options
• What is your name?
• How would you rate your job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities? (Answer options:
excellent, strong, average, weak, unacceptable)
• How would you rate the quality of your work? (Answer options: excellent, strong,
average, weak, unacceptable)
• How would you rate your productivity? (Answer options: excellent, strong, average,
• How consistent and reliable is your performance at work? (Answer options: very
consistent and reliable, somewhat consistent and reliable, not very consistent and
reliable, not at all consistent and reliable)
• How professional—effective and appropriate—is your communication at work? (Answer
options: always professional, usually professional, usually unprofessional, always
Self-Evaluation Survey Questions and Answer Options (continued)
• How would you rate your professional relationships with DCC employees that you
interact with daily? (Answers: excellent, strong, average, weak, unacceptable) Please
share evidence or data to support your answer (textbox provided for employee
• How often are you able to complete your work in a safe manner? (Answers: always,
usually, sometimes, never)
• Please note your performance goals for the last year and discuss your progress toward
accomplishing them (textbox provided for employee response)
• What was your greatest work-related accomplishment or success in the last year?
(textbox provided for employee response)
• What was your greatest work-related challenge in the last year? (textbox provided for
• What would you most like to improve in your performance this year? (textbox provided
for employee response)
STAGE TWO: SUPERVISOR EVALUATION
On the second Friday in August, Human Resources will send each supervisor an evaluation form for each employee. By the last Friday of September, for the employees under his or her supervision, each supervisor will review the employee’s self-evaluation and meet in person with each employee to (a) discuss the employee’s self-evaluation and (b) share the supervisor’s written feedback on the employee’s performance.
The supervisor’s evaluation form will include ratings using the same Likert scales used in the employee self-evaluation survey on the following topics:
• job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities,
• quality of employee’s work,
• the employee’s productivity,
• the consistency and reliability of the employee’s performance at work,
• the professionalism of the employee’s work communication,
• the employee’s ability to maintain professional relationships with coworkers, and
• the employee’s ability to work in a safe manner.
The supervisor will also document his or her assessment of the employee’s work-related accomplishments and challenges during the past year. The form will provide fields for the supervisor to share evidence or data supporting his or her evaluation of the employee. Furthermore, supervisors should attach to the evaluation form any written performance feedback—positive or constructive—given to the employee throughout the year.
STAGE THREE: PERFORMANCE GOAL SETTING
During the evaluation meeting, the supervisor and employee should set one or two specific, measurable, aligned, realistic, and timely performance goals for the upcoming evaluation cycle. The evaluation form will include fields for documenting the employee’s performance goal(s).
Once stage three is completed and the supervisor and employee have signed the evaluation form, the employee should receive one copy and the supervisor should submit the evaluation form and attachments to Human Resources. The supervisor should not maintain a file separate from the official file maintained and controlled in Human Resources.
• An employee’s signature on the evaluation form confirms that the employee has
received the feedback; the signature does not imply agreement with the evaluation.
• Only the Human Resources office should maintain personnel records on behalf of the
College. Human Resources will allow review of the personnel file by each employee and
his or her supervisor upon request. The College will require that review of personnel
files occur in a controlled environment. The employee may photocopy documents from
his or her personnel file.
SCOPE The above policy applies to all Dawson Community College classified
employees and supervisors.