Dawson Community College Phi Theta Kappa
The Alpha Xi Epsilon chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society was chartered March 1, 1988 at Dawson Community College. Bylaws were accepted on January 1, 1992.
On the National level
According to the official Phi Theta Kappa web site, "Phi Theta Kappa traces its beginnings to a Society that originated with six charter members under the name of Kappa Phi Omicron at Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri, in 1910. At a meeting of the presidents of the Missouri junior colleges for women in 1918, it was decided to organize a new honorary society, chapters of which would have a common character, stand, and similarity of organization." The name Phi Theta Kappa was adopted at that time. In 1926, Phi Theta Kappa expanded its reaches to colleges outside of Missouri. In 1929, the American Association of Community Colleges recognized Phi Theta Kappa as the official Honor Society for two year colleges.
The founders modeled the Society after the Senior Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa. The name "Phi Theta Kappa" was taken from the initial letters of the three Greek words meaning "wisdom", "aspiration", and "purity".