DAWSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE
COLLEGE PRESIDENT PROCEDURES CP 2-25
APPROVED: July 26, 2010
EFFECTIVE: July 26, 2010
REFERENCES: BP 2-25
SELECTION OF CLASSIFIED STAFF
1. If the position is new, the position description will be developed jointly by the
appropriate Dean and immediate supervisor and will then be forwarded to the
President’s office to determine salary level.
2. If the position is not new, the position description should be reviewed to assure that
changes have not occurred since it was last written. If this review does not result in
any changes, step three should be observed. If the review does note changes, step
one should be observed.
3. The position will be posted internally for a period of one full work-week. If qualified,
internal applicants are received, the Dean and immediate supervisor will determine if
external advertisement is necessary.
4. If no internal applications are received by the first work day of the second week or if
internal applications are determined by the Dean and immediate supervisor to be
unqualified, vacancy announcements will then be mailed to appropriate newspapers,
professional journals, the local Job Service Office, and placement offices at appropriate
colleges and universities. The selection of additional posting methods will be made by
the Dean and immediate supervisor.
5. Applications are to be sent to the Human Resources office where they will be screened
for completeness and compliance with minimum positions qualifications/experience. An
application file will be considered as complete when it includes:|
• A letter of application for the posted position
• The college application form
• A resume
• A copy of college transcripts (unofficial), if required – official copies required prior to
issuance of first contract
• The names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references
• Credential Verification form
6. Prospective applicants will b notified of the completeness of their application, and will
continue to receive notifications of their status throughout the search process.
SEARCH AND SCREENING COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
The search and screening committee will be appointed by the appropriate Dean and Human Resources Officer and generally will be comprised of the following members:
• Dean of the respective Division (committee chairman)
• Immediate supervisor where vacancy exists
• Two other employees from the respective department
• Human Resources Officer
• AA/EEO Officer
Note: membershp exceptions may be made with the approval of the Dean.
SEARCH AND SCREENING COMMITTEE PROCEDURE
• The search and screening committee will reduce the applicants to no more than five (5)
finalists by comparing the position requirements with each individual’s application file.
• The top finalists will be contacted for a personal interview.
• The committee will interview using a prescribed and consistent format. Oral and/or
written questions will be designed by the committee according to the particular
requirements of the vacant position and approved by the Human Resources Officer. The
same questions will be used for all applicants.
• The Dean, Human Resources Officer and the immediate supervisor will cooperatively call
for references. The final applicant(s) will be forwarded to the President (not prioritized)
by the Dean. After a review of the finalists, the President will consult with the Dean to
identify the top candidate.
• The successful applicant will be contacted by the Dean to arrive at an acceptable salary
and benefit package, and to make arrangements for beginning employment. Salary will
be consistent with the Classified Staff Salary Schedule.
• The Human Resources Office will notify all applicants of the results of the search.
SCOPE These procedures apply to Dawson Community College.