Public Reporting on Federal CARES Act
- Dawson Community College has applied for and received CARES Act funding from the U.S. Department of Education. The university has signed and returned certification to the Federal Government that no less than 50% of the CARES Act funds will be provided for Student grants.
- The university was allotted $71,076 in funds to be disbursed to students impacted by the COVID 19 pandemic.
- The total amount of grants distributed to students under 18004(a) (1) of the CARES Act of will be provided at the end of the 30-day reporting requirements. Additional updates will be provided every 45 days after the initial report.
- Dawson Community College estimates that 238 students are eligible for CARES Act funds. These students identified met the requirements for the CARES Act from regulations issued by the Department of Education on April 21, 2020. This guidance required Title IV eligibility. In addition to Title IV eligibility, the CARES Act provided additional regulations that excluded fully On-line students.
- The total number of students who have received a grant under the CARES Act will be provided at the end of the 30-day reporting requirements. Additional updates will be provided every 45 days after the initial report.
- As of 05/14/2020 - 28 students
- On May 7, 2020, Dawson Community College confirmed a distribution method of the emergency funds in accordance with federal guidelines. The college goal was to assist as many impacted students as possible with larger amounts awarded to students with greater need. On May 7th a CARES Act webpage was created for the DCC website. On May 11, 2020, electronic notices with CARES Act applications were sent to the college email address of 238 possible eligible students. The students were Title IV eligible as determined by the 2019-20 FAFSA records or ability to file and were NOT exclusively on-line students prior to the Pandemic. In keeping with the college goal to assist as many students as possible the college adopted a policy to award $500 max applicants.
- Instructions provided stated that students would be notified about grant eligibility through DCC formal means of communication their DCC student email accounts.