TITLE: Student Custodians
DIVISION: Facilities and Grounds Maintenance
DEPARTMENT: Physical Plant
STATUS: Student Employee, Temporary, Hourly, Non-Classified
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Physical Plant
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
Nature of Work: This position performs skilled manual labor duties requiring attention to cleanliness and safety of buildings. Position works mainly indoors during the academic year; occasionally works outdoors to shovel snow and perform minor maintenance work. During the time period from May through August this position works outdoors approximately 30 percent of the time. May work after 4:00 p.m. shift and evenings following campus events. Follows safety procedures in dealing with equipment and hazardous material. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
Personal Contacts: Frequent contact with students and staff.
Supervision Received: Daily supervision and assignment of tasks from Maintenance Engineer or Head Maintenance Technician.
Supervision Exercised: None
Essential Functions: Position requires ability to: clean, operate floor cleaning equipment, remove garbage, scrub, dust, vacuum, mop, paint, make repairs, move furniture, do lawn maintenance, change light bulbs, raise and lower flag, unload and stock supplies, lock and secure buildings, operate lawn maintenance equipment. Position requires visual acuity to inspect designated areas, record keeping skills and ability to communicate.
DCC values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and behaviors are identified as examples of what is expected of an employee:
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality and respect for deadlines.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with all fiscal, human, and labor relation information.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- High School diploma.
- Experience in custodial and basic maintenance work.
- Ability to obtain low pressure boiler’s license.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs assigned duties.
- Capably cleans and sanitizes assigned areas.
- Provides for a secure and locked building.
- Capably paints and performs light repairs and maintenance as required.
- Assists to provide a well-groomed look to the grounds.
- Follows safety precautions in dealing with equipment and chemicals.
- Is able to work late hours, if needed, following campus events.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Maintains accurate and timely records.
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Observes work hours.
- Demonstrates punctuality.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors and the public.