TITLE: Maintenance Technician
DIVISION: Facilities and Grounds Maintenance
DEPARTMENT: Facilities and Grounds Maintenance
STATUS: Full-time, classified
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Physical Plant
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
Nature of Work: This position performs skilled manual labor duties requiring attention to cleanliness and safety of buildings. Position works mainly indoors during the academic year; occasionally works outdoors to shovel snow and perform minor maintenance work. During the time period from May through August this position works outdoors approximately 30 percent of the time. May work after 4:00 p.m. shift and evenings following campus events. Follows safety procedures in dealing with equipment and hazardous material. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
Personal Contacts: Frequent contact with students and staff.
Supervision Received: Daily supervision and assignment of tasks from Maintenance Engineer or Head Maintenance Technician.
Supervision Exercised: Assists with supervision/training of work study and temporary help throughout the year.
Essential Functions: Position requires ability to: clean, operate floor cleaning equipment, remove garbage, scrub, dust, vacuum, mop, paint, make repairs, move furniture, do lawn maintenance, change light bulbs, raise and lower flag, unload and stock supplies, lock and secure buildings, operate lawn maintenance equipment. Position requires visual acuity to inspect designated areas, record keeping skills and ability to communicate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Routine cleaning of facility includes:
- Cleans, vacuums, and mops assigned floor areas daily to maintain cleanliness, sanitation and appearance.
- Washes inside and outside of windows.
- Cleans washrooms, showers and drinking fountains to maintain sanitary facility.
- Removes trash daily in all areas and clean garbage cans as needed.
- Empties and cleans trash cans.
- Cleans housekeeping equipment, tools and carts, etc.
- Dusts furniture, file cabinets, tables, dressers, etc. daily.
- Performs other cleaning duties as assigned.
Major cleaning of facility includes:
- Washes walls, ceilings and furniture as scheduled or when needed.
- Strips tile floor of wax, reseals and re-waxes annually.
- Shampoos and repairs carpets every quarter or when needed.
- Removes snow from steps and walkways and applies ice melt to ensure safety.
- Maintains a well-groomed campus; waters, mows, cuts weeds, weed control, fertilizes, prunes, plants trees, shrubs and flowers.
- Paints parking and crosswalks lines.
- Replaces and repairs campus signage.
- Operates and repairs underground sprinkler system as needed.
- Assists in the general maintenance of campus.
- Assists in the maintenance of walking paths, fire pits, volleyball courts, golf course, sledding hill and ice skating rink.
- Prunes and manicures ornamental plants, shrubs, bushes and trees.
- Provides security when on duty and crowed control during College sponsored activities.
- Routinely sets up and tears down materials and equipment used during activities and events.
- Completes security check of buildings and locks/unlocks outside entrances.
- Unloads, stocks and transports freight within the facility.
- Raises and lowers flag daily.
- Keeps accurate records regarding repair and maintenance performed.
- Attends meetings when requested.
- Assists employees, students and community members with on demand requests.
- Moves and arranges College and student equipment and property.
- Follows established fire and safety procedures.
- Practices energy conservation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge: This position requires knowledge of: cleaning procedures, equipment and chemicals. General knowledge of grounds maintenance, building maintenance and use of tools.
Skills: This positon requires skills in cleaning and use of: cleaning equipment, mops, brushes and power equipment. Skills in grounds and building maintenance and use of equipment commonly used in related maintenance.
Abilities: This position requires the ability to: take pride work; maintain confidentiality; work later hours following special events; follow established safety procedures; communicate effectively; follow verbal and written instructions; establish effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors and the public. Maintain a positive “can do” attitude.
DCC values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and behaviors are identified as examples of what is expected of an employee:
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality and respect for deadlines.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with all fiscal, human, and labor relation information.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- High School diploma.
- Experience in custodial and basic maintenance work.
- Ability to obtain low pressure boiler’s license.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs assigned duties.
- Capably cleans and sanitizes assigned areas.
- Provides for a secure and locked building.
- Capably paints and performs light repairs and maintenance as required.
- Assists to provide a well-groomed look to the grounds.
- Follows safety precautions in dealing with equipment and chemicals.
- Is able to work late hours, if needed, following campus events.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Maintains accurate and timely records.
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Observes work hours.
- Demonstrates punctuality.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors and the public.
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)
- Three professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department