TITLE: Accounts Receivable Assistant
DIVISION: Administrative Services
DEPARTMENT: Business Department
STATUS: Full-time/Classified, 12 Month
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Controller
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: This position occasionally supervises work study students.
This position is responsible for accurately receipting in all of the funds paid to the college, verifying accuracy of student bills, reconciling student accounts and miscellaneous receivables, collection of accounts, dealing with aspects of student accounts and related tasks; receiving and directing telephone calls; assisting business office staff/registrar/enrollment management during peak work times; assisting people at the counter and in main office; and prepares documents, memos, and reports using software including Word, Excel and Ellucian; and provides Administrative Assistance to Vice President of Administration and Controller.
Nature of Work: This position performs accounting, bookkeeping, receptionist, clerical and administrative assistance duties which require attention to accuracy, detail, and timeliness. Work is performed in an office setting during normal office hours and occasional evening hours during registration and fee payment days. Position is mainly responsible for dealing with student accounts and related tasks, administrative assistance to the VP of Administration and Controller, greeting the public and placing the college in the most favorable position possible. This position must be able to be pleasant in stressful situations, communicate the college interests, and accurately record information with frequent interruptions. This position requires working occasionally over 40 hours a week depending on the circumstances. Position is responsible for the cash drawer, receipting daily payments for student tuition and fees, cashing checks, and giving change. Position solely responsible for receipting in all state and local allocations that with student tuition and fees account for approximately 90% of annual budgeted revenue.
Personal Contacts: Daily contact with the public, students, faculty, and staff through face-to-face, by telephone and by messages.
Supervision Received: Receives supervision, assignment of work duties and projects from the Controller through face to face communication and written messages.
Essential Functions: Position requires ability to: communicate orally and in writing; read written material, perform accounting functions, calculate numbers, handle stressful situations and problems in a professional manner, answer the telephone, take messages, type and file, record data and information, answer questions, take and record minutes of meetings and greet the public in a pleasant manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Student Accounts Receivable Assistant/Cashier:
- Records receipts for all monies, credit card, online and pay pal payments entering the College; codes to correct fund and revenue source. Reconciles daily for accuracy with daily accounting reports. Insures all receipts are processed correctly in a timely manner and directed to Business Office co-workers for daily bank deposits.
- Checks all student accounts (on campus, online, credit, and non-credit) for accuracy before billing, including correct tuition, mandatory and course fees, housing and meal cards. Checks student account credits for accuracy including applied payments of financial aid, scholarships, third party, self pays, etc.
- Works with Registrar, Housing, Financial Aid and Enrollment Management to maintain accurate student accounts for billing.
- Assist students as they register for courses, verifies annual tuition and fee schedules and updates website and Banner accordingly, prepares and reconciles student invoices and accounts.
- Within institutional guidelines: prepares, executes and mails deferment contracts to ensure proper payment of tuitions and fees by the student.
- Posts direct cash receipts to various funds under the direction of the Controller.
- Responsible for monthly student billing including, miscellaneous A/R, deferred payment contracts, distance education costs, non-credit classes, coordination of third party billing (i.e. Voc Rehab, Job Service), etc.
- Works with Enrollment Management/Registrar to compile, calculate and present information for processing refunds and calculating additional charges owed by students to the Controller for authorization and to the Assistant Business Manager for processing of accounts.
- Collaborates with Business Office co-workers to provide assistance in their areas and improve procedures in the Department, create and attain Individual Effectiveness Plans (IEP) in conjunction with the Mission Statement, Core Themes and Strategic Plan of the College.
- Responsible for maintaining student aged accounts receivable, related collection efforts and appropriate write offs in conjunction with College policy.
- Collect Pell Grant and other Title IX funding from students due to return of funds.
- Actively pursues collection of Perkins accounts
- Maintains the College telephone directory.
- Responsible for preparing and issuing annual tax reports including but not limited to student 1098T’s.
- Works with the Assistant Business Manager to maintain student meal cards.
- Assists with communication to students from all facets of the institution.
Acts as a Business Office Receptionist and Backup Receptionist to the Main Office:
- Provides friendly, courteous and helpful customer service to students, employees and the public.
- Assists the Controller and VP of Administration with budgeting, research, planning, development, delivery and review of all administrative operations within the Business and Finance Department.
- Collaborates with the Enrollment Management department in assisting all students including potential and current, online and on campus through registration, admission, scheduling, assuring accurate billing and payment of bills.
- Backup to Enrollment Management Department in answering the telephone system during business hours, sorting incoming mail and prepares out bound mail, receiving and distributing all incoming mail; sorting and grouping all dorm mail for distribution by physical plant director; maintaining the postage meter, ordering postage according to the guidelines; securing the postage meter daily to prevent unauthorized use; adding institutional messages on answer machine, and responding to or redirecting messages on the answer machine; assisting the Registrar in receiving and processing incoming transcript requests for later use, if necessary
- Participate as requested in the Institutional Effectiveness Committee Structure.
- Assists Foundation in miscellaneous receipting and backup support
- Assists other departments with the coding of Accounts Payable invoices as instructed by the Controller
- Attends meetings as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned according to guidelines set by the Controller.
- Be aware that although this position deals mainly with Business and Finance Department functions, it is an important part of attracting, recruiting and retaining students and must work collaboratively with other departments to meet the needs of our students and various stakeholders.
- And other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Observes work hours.
- Demonstrates punctuality.
- Performs assigned duties in a timely manner.
- Maintains accurate and timely records.
- Maintains billing and accounts receivable according to accepted accounting procedures.
- Prepares and submits accurate and timely reports.
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Adheres to standards of confidentiality.
- Calculates refunds for dropped credits and works with staff to process.
- Provides backup in the main office and with the enrollment management department, assists with the admission and registration of students.
- Accurately makes change and properly records receipts.
- Positive point of contact for students and ambassador to the College.
- Supports and promotes a positive image of Dawson Community College.
- Participates in recruiting students to Dawson Community College by being an advocate in the community.
- Displays empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Acknowledges and engages in creating a campus culture that encourages students from various and diverse backgrounds to attend and thrive.
- Works effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Builds trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintains proficiency as needed and approved by attending trainings, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in area of responsibility.
- Dresses appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meets all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
High School Diploma and two years of college course work in accounting and business or an equivalent of five years progressively responsible experience in business and accounting.
Must be able to be bonded.
Practical experience in the operation of the Ellucian Banner system is recommended but not required.
Knowledge: This position requires an extensive knowledge of accounts receivable and billing practices, general accounting and bookkeeping, office practices and procedures; business communication and proper English; computer software including Microsoft Word, and Excel; and telephone etiquette.
Skills: This position requires skills in the use of a personal computer, typewriter, ability to learn and effectively use the Ellucian Banner accounting system, calculator, fax machine, copier, scale and postage meter, and telephone system.
Abilities: This position requires the ability to: communicate effectively and professionally both orally and in writing; follow verbal and written instructions explicitly, organize and deal effectively with administrative detail, complex, and confidential material; act with initiative and use good judgment with minimum supervision; work under pressure and produce accurate and thorough work; adapt to various situations and develop alternative plans of action to solve problems; organize and maintain accurate and complete records; learn new specialized software programs; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors, students, and the general public.
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)
- Three professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department