TITLE: Student Life Coordinator
POSITION: Classified, Hourly, .5 (20 hrs. per week), 10 months
DIVISION: Student Affairs
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Residential Education and Student Life Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Work study students
JOB SUMMARY: Performs tasks and provides leadership related to the planning, organizing, and supervising of the delivery of co-curricular and extra-curricular programs for DCC students. Responsible to the Residential Education and Student Life Director for coordinating student organizations, programs, and events within the College that contribute to the overall experience and success of students. Position will be required to start 2 weeks before the start of the fall academic semester and end 2 weeks after spring semester.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guides student leaders, staff and faculty to plan, organize, promote, supervise and evaluate Student Life programs, events, and activities to meet the needs of DCC students in coordination with the Residential Education and Student Life Director.
- Coordinates with ASB Leaders and may advise ASB Leaders through meetings, events, organizational communication, one-on-one conferences, teambuilding sessions, and leadership retreats.
- Monitors the assigned budget to ensure fiscal accountability and other facilities and equipment assigned to Student Life.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships and collaboration with the Academic Coordinator, Residence Education Director, Academics, DCC Counseling Services, faculty, community resources, vendors and non-profit agencies in the course of planning and implementing Student Life activities.
- Assists in the establishment and the advisement of student organizations (clubs, etc.) and provides training and experiences which help develop leadership skills and abilities in students (i.e. retreats on and off campus and related events).
- Designs and implements various workshops and seminars on leadership development and team building.
- Provides one to one guidance and support to students regarding academic issues/progress, problem resolution, student concerns, personal growth and achieving personal goals. Serves as a liaison between students and DCC Administration.
- Recommends and assists in the implementation of goals and objectives for the Student Life department and the Enrollment Management unit.
- Plans, prioritizes, assigns, supervises and reviews work of assigned part-time/work study employees.
- Provides support to personal advising and referral for issues such as domestic violence, relationship issues, life style changes, and adjustment to college life.
- Summer assignment hours for activities such as orientation, advance registration, etc.
- Maintains appropriate records including confidential student files in accordance with federal and state requirements.
- Coordinates and implement all state mandated EverFi related activities.
- Assists with the development of the LEAD program.
- Assists with the development and implementation of summer programming and campus.
- Compliments and supports Resident Advisor training and Resident Advisor supported activities.
- Participates with committee structure as directed.
- Positon is an important part of attracting, recruiting and retaining students; works collaboratively with all other departments to meet the needs of our students and various stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge: This position requires a thorough knowledge of student life programming, academic issues, human services, community service agencies, and crisis intervention techniques.
Skills: This position requires skills in the use of a computer, Microsoft Office software, copier, and general office equipment.
Abilities: This position requires the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, follow verbal and written instructions, work with students in various degrees of crisis including personal, education, and career related issues. Operate equipment and vehicle in a safe manner; make appropriate assessments and referrals; use good judgment; be patient and understanding when dealing with students; establish effective working relationships with fellow staff members, students, faculty, administration, and the general public.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Observes work hours.
- Demonstrates punctuality.
- Performs assigned duties.
- Maintains accurate and timely records and client case notes.
- Prepares and submits accurate and timely reports.
- Deals tactfully and courteously with student, coworkers, the public and external stakeholders
- Works effectively with students, college faculty and staff, and community members.
- Adheres to standards of confidentiality of information and documentation.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- Provides backup support to other departments as needed.
- Consistently demonstrates an acceptance and understanding of human behavior, a regard for human dignity, and a positive regard for self and the students being served.
- Positive point of contact for students and ambassador to the College
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education, Human Services, Counseling or closely related field.
- Two-years of experience working for a college or in social and community service agencies.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Must be able to take initiative and work independently as well as part of a team.
- Valid MT Driver’s License.
- Master’s degree
- Experience in a higher education setting, counseling or sales environment
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)
- Three professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department