TITLE: Human Resources Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
STATUS: Exempt, 12 month, Full-time, hourly
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Human Resources
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Work Study Students
JOB SUMMARY: Assist the Human Resources Director in implementing full spectrum of human resources employment policies; will assist in recruiting, staffing, employee orientation, performance management, benefits and compensation administration, organizational development and training. Responsible for providing information pertinent to human resources to supervisors, employees, retirees and applicants. The position requires the ability to work independently and a high degree of professionalism, confidentiality, and organizational skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality in all interactions.
- Assist administration in the implementation and maintenance of Human Resource programs and policies as needed.
- Enter, track and reconcile all payroll changes for new and current employees including annual salary increases and benefit adjustments for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, retirement programs, and optional deductions. Work in close collaboration with Business Office staff to prepare and process payroll. Provide back up for payroll processing.
- Assist Director in preparing, distributing and tracking offer and employee appointment letters and other employee contracts.
- Assist and coordinate the Hiring Process – prepare position requisition forms, post positions internally and externally, advertise appropriately, prepare applicant information for screening committee and hiring supervisor, schedule interviews, and conduct background verification.
- Assist Director in the onboarding process. Assist in the preparation of offer letters and letters of appointment/contract; coordinate office space setup, access to appropriate computer technology and keys; conduct orientation which includes campus tour, introductions, and providing information on salary, benefits, policies and procedures. Provide follow up as necessary.
- Provide support in processing end of service documents including leave payouts and retirement forms. Schedule and prepare for exit procedures for terminated employees. Communicate necessary information to necessary agencies for retirement benefits, COBRA, etc.
- Maintain and provide benefit information – Assist with the administration of the Montana University System benefits program that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and retirement programs. Assist with annual enrollment processes. Process required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping, proper deductions, and payment to vendors. Assist with the completion, collection and storage of employee’s personnel information including but not limited to workers’ compensation, unemployment insurance, FMLA, disability, and other employee related benefits.
- Submit Liability and Payment reports – Reconcile benefit invoices, employee enrollments and verification of payroll deductions. Determine proper liability payments, reconcile payroll deductions to vendor statements, and complete and submit accurate reports and payments by required deadlines. Reconcile retiree insurance payments received and payments made on their behalf to the MUS benefit programs.
- Assist with preparation and submission of mandatory PERS/TRS reports with MT State web reporting system.
- Assist and developing mentoring program for work study and student employees.
- Answer questions and ensure employees, retirees, supervisors and applicants are informed regarding DCC policies, procedures, benefits, step increases, salary changes, TRS/PERS contributions and matches, workers compensation and other HR related topics.
- Create working relationships with outside vendors to answer employee questions and work together to reconcile statements and payments.
- Assist in maintaining documentation on employee safety, welfare, wellness and health reporting as required.
- Assist in maintaining all records.
- Assist in compiling reports as directed.
- Assist in maintaining the human resource data bases, computer software systems, and manual filing systems. Complete, collects and store employee’s personnel information in an organized and confidential manner.
- Serve as a first point of contact inquiries by employees.
- Assist in maintenance of the College salary schedules, job documentation, and evaluation systems. Assist in preparation of annual evaluation process.
- Maintain DCC HR website page with current job postings, job descriptions, up to date policies and procedures, and other pertinent information.
- Order business cards as requested by DCC personnel.
- Maintain up to date human resource knowledge by attending MUS trainings, educational workshops, and reviewing publications.
- Participate in DCC committee structure as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
DCC values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and behaviors are identified as examples of what is expected of an employee:
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality and respect for deadlines.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with all fiscal, human, and labor relation information.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. Qualified applicants should have or be able to prove the following:
- Two years administrative experience in a business, marketing or human resource field.
- Two years or more college level course work in business, human resources, personnel management or related field.
- General knowledge of employment and benefit laws, benefits, compensation and other human resources matters.
- Experience with maintaining a high level of professionalism, confidentiality and organization.
- Ability to organize and deal effectively with complex material; act with initiative and use good judgment with minimum supervision; work under pressure and produce accurate and thorough work; adapt to various situations and develop alternative plans of action to solve problems; organize and maintain accurate and complete records; present information in forms, tables, and spreadsheets; meet tight deadlines with competing priorities; work independently on a broad variety of projects; understand and practice safety procedures and precautions; and identify personnel/management problems and propose possible solutions.
- Skill in use of relevant computer hardware and software applications, modern office equipment. Specifically, this position requires proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, or similar software, internet navigation and experience with budget management and calculations.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
- Driver’s license required.
- Related experience in Higher Education.
- Experience in Human Resources including knowledge and experience in employee recruitment and retention, and understanding and application of local employment laws, benefit laws, collective bargaining units, etc.
- Experience with Ellucian SunGard/Banner Human Resource data base or similar data bases.
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)
- Three professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department