TITLE: Maintenance Engineer
DIVISION: Facilities and Grounds Maintenance
STATUS: Full Time, Classified, Hourly
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Physical Plant
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Student employees and work study students
JOB SUMMARY: Performs skilled maintenance work repairing and maintaining buildings, grounds, and related facilities which include the main building, the Toepke Center, the Ullman Center, three dormitories and all grounds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
Nature of Work: This position performs skilled maintenance work requiring attention to repair and safety of buildings and grounds. Position works outdoors and indoors; may work outdoors in adverse weather conditions. Follows safety procedures in dealing with equipment, gas, electricity, chemicals, heavy lifting and work from heights. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
Personal Contacts: Frequent, yet limited, contact with students and staff.
Supervision Received: Daily contact with other maintenance/custodial employees, contractors, salesmen, students, faculty, and staff.
Supervision Exercised: Assists with supervision of summer and part-time workers; also typically three custodians, two work study and part-time summer helpers in absence of the Physical Plant Director and Head Custodian.
Essential Functions: Position requires physical ability to: do electrical work, do plumbing, maintain boilers, repair interior and exterior structures, paint, drywall, move furniture, do lawn maintenance, patch and repair streets and sidewalks, operate and maintain lawn and shop equipment. Position requires visual acuity to inspect designated areas, record keeping skills and ability to communicate.
AREAS OF JOB ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
- Scrapes, caulks, sands, paints walls and wood work.
- Hangs, tapes, sands, finishes and repairs sheetrock walls.
- Prepares sub-floors for new coverings.
- Replaces tires, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering units, batteries, alternators, generators, lights, wires, and fuses in equipment.
Performs skilled maintenance work in plumbing, electrical and HVAC tasks in repairing and maintaining the utilities for the buildings and grounds.
- Checks for leaks, cracks, broken urinals, commodes, sinks; replaces or repairs as needed.
- Repair, flush and clean drain lines, pipe insulation, and seal wrapped pipe joints.
- Inspects, repairs outlets, light ballast, photo-eyes, heating elements, breaker switches, electric motors, fans, elements, and breaker switches.
- Inspects, lubricates, cleans, and maintains unit heat ventilators.
- Monitors and repairs various parts of computer assisted boilers; checks oil, belts, tank pressure, drain condensation, and drive motor.
Performs semi-skilled and skilled grounds care and landscaping tasks.
- Mows, edges, irrigates, fertilizes lawn, plants, shrubs and trees.
- Uses hand tools and applies herbicides and pesticides to trees, shrubs, and lawn.
- Removes snow and ice from walkways, streets and parking areas.
- Repairs sidewalks, roads, and parking areas: replaces asphalt, applies concrete and paints stripes.
Performs semi-skilled work in performing custodial tasks.
- Scrubs, mops, shampoos, extracts, vacuums and sweeps carpeted areas, tile floors and ceramic tile floors.
- Mixes and applies cleaners and chemicals to appropriate surfaces.
- Checks all incoming parcels, mail and supplies; distributes and records transactions.
Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge: This position requires knowledge of standardized rules, regulations, and procedures, and the ability to apply them in working with low pressure boiler plants, commercial heating and ventilation systems, and electrical and plumbing systems. Knowledge of preparing drywall, painting, concrete, and asphalt.
Skills: This position requires skills in use of knowledge, equipment, and tools to effectively perform repair and maintenance of heating, electrical and plumbing systems. Skills in carpentry, dry-walling, painting, and grounds maintenance.
Abilities: This position requires the ability to: be task oriented; prioritize work; work in adverse weather conditions; maintain confidentiality of sensitive information; follow safety procedures; communicate effectively orally and in writing; follow verbal and written instructions; establish effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and the public. Physical duties require ability to drive a vehicle; operate power equipment including mowers, buffers, floor polisher, band saw, drill press, trucks and tractors; operate hand tools; lift 50 pounds; climb ladders; and repair equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- High School diploma.
- Job related vocational training.
- At least two years related experience.
- Must possess boiler operator’s license or be able to obtain licensure within 6 months.
- Must possess a valid, Montana driver’s license.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs assigned duties.
- Capably maintains and repairs electrical, heating, and plumbing systems.
- Capably repairs and paints interior and exterior walls.
- Follows safety procedures in dealing with equipment and chemicals.
- Demonstrates skill in carpentry.
- Effectively maintains groomed, watered and fertilized grounds.
- Competently performs light servicing and maintenance of equipment.
- Capably operates and does maintenance on lawn and shop equipment.
- Inventories and maintains adequate plumbing, electrical, and lawn supplies.
- Maintains accurate and timely records.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Observes work hours.
- Demonstrates punctuality.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors and the public.
- Conveys by word and action the values expected by DCC.