TITLE: Director of Marketing & Public Relations
DEPARTMENT: Marketing & Public Relations
STATUS: Full time, exempt
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: President
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Marketing & Public Relations, Work Study Students
The Director of Marketing & Public Relations supports the mission and strategic direction of the College, overseeing its marketing, advertising, public relations and web presence. The Director provides overall strategic leadership and direction to the President, as well as external advertising/marketing agencies to build the College’s image and brand identity and support recruitment efforts. Ensures quality and consistency of messaging across all media and target audiences.
- Provide advice and direction to the President, Vice Presidents, and departments regarding present and potential public relations concerns and or opportunities for expanded community engagement. Assist with the expansion of cooperative partnerships with businesses, government agencies, and other organizations.
- Serve as DCC’s brand ambassador, representing our brand positively, in a multitude of settings, through face-to-face interactions, at formal events, or one-on-one communication with DCC stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with Enrollment Management to lead and expand marketing efforts for coverage of all college events, utilizing newspapers, radio and television.
- Work collaboratively with the Human Resources office to recruit new employees by ensuring our web page, position descriptions, advertisements, etc. conform to DCC marketing strategy.
- Coordinate and direct all college marketing and community promotional activities to best represent the college to a variety of audiences in an effort to maintain and/or increase student enrollment. Determine the appropriate mix of all media to promote and represent the College; direct and coordinate mass media advertising for the college, such as digital media, print, radio, Movie Theater, television, direct mail, Bill Boards, marketing sponsorships at outside events and high schools, etc.
- Play a leadership role in driving the effectiveness of all online initiatives, improve, monitor and update website, manage online communities, e-newsletters, e-mail broadcasts and web-based marketing activities. Manage ongoing optimization to ensure best-in-class organic and paid results.
- Oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of marketing-related activities and events to ensure they are strategically driven.
- Create, implement and measure the success of a comprehensive marketing and public relations strategic plan that enhances the College’s image and position within the marketplace and the general public.
- Supervises and approves the editing and production and development of college publications and collateral materials, including but not limited to the catalog, course schedule, View Book, student handbook, posters and advertisements.
- Directs the placement of advertising campaigns with the appropriate media.
- Directs the development of innovative and creative content for publications and advertising campaigns to meet project timelines.
- Act as the College’s representative with the media for institutional and board-related public relations. Writes and disseminates news and press releases. Serves as the Public Information Officer (PIO) in crisis situations. Acts in counsel with the College president on institutional issues in the media.
- Direct and oversee all marketing and public relations activities, including Web marketing efforts and public relations, to ensure message consistency.
- Direct quantitative and qualitative market research efforts to understand consumer perceptions of the College and its services.
- Manage budgets and allocate funds to necessary projects.
- Supervise and lead the Marketing & Public Relations initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Leadership Team of the College in developing strategic directions that ensure institutional effectiveness.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong oral communication and presentation skills.
- Creativity with strong strategic thinking skills.
- Proven ability to build relationships, work with and lead others.
- Ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources, analyze information and recommend courses of action to be taken.
- Familiarity with current marketing business practices.
- Proven ability to analyze competitive markets and develop effective strategies to maintain DCC’s competitive position.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Technology skills including word processing, desk top publishing, PowerPoint.
- Analytical ability to interpret sensitive issues affecting DCC.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of direct experience in marketing management, advertising, marketing communications or public relations
- Experience in writing for a wide array of digital communications, including the web, social media, and mass email; is current with best practices using these types of media.
- Brand-building experience
- Developing and implementing marketing and public relations plans working with external marketing and advertising agencies and resources
- Experience with publications and desktop publishing (Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe In Design and/or Quark Xpress) desired
- Master’s degree
- Five Years experience