POSITION TITLE: Head Coach (0.5 appointment) – Cross Country and Track Coach
DEPARTMENT: Intercollegiate Athletics
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Athletic Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Assistant and Part time Coaches, student employees
SUMMARY OF WORK: The Cross Country and Track Head Coach is responsible for all aspects of their assigned sport including but not limited to budget management, recruiting, eligibility, compliance, NJCAA documentation, public relations, scheduling, travel, awarding of scholarships, roster management, managing assistant coaches, organization of practices and all home games, camps, fundraising, coaching, player development, and other duties assigned by the Athletic Director. The college expects head coaches to promote and develop leadership, citizenship, academic excellence, athletic competitiveness, and community engagement.
Employees at Dawson Community College are required to demonstrate kindness, respect, integrity, professionalism, and caring regard. We adhere to the highest ethical standards in the fulfillment of our jobs, to honor the College and university policies and procedures and to promote the educational objectives of the institution. Respect creates an atmosphere conducive to learning. Respect, in this sense, is a minimum threshold for our interactions with each other. A higher threshold is a “caring regard” for the people with whom we work.
Professionalism at DCC includes being mindful of our actions when working with students, colleagues, co-workers and our community members. Respect and “caring regard” for those with whom we share the common purpose of serving students is a paramount value. Professionalism and respect for others is an expected part of DCC job performance.
Nature of Work: The head coach works in a wide variety of settings depending upon the nature of the sport. The head coach is instrumental in recruiting and retaining prospective student athletes to create a competitive team comprising student-athletes who develop into effective players, leaders, citizens, and scholars. The recruitment process entails research of high school and transfer prospects, travel to events to observe and evaluate athletes’ potential and talent, interaction with high school coaches and prospective students’ parents and family members, coordinating and conducting campus visits, and executing letters of intent. The work also requires the ability to plan and execute a practice regimen that develops player and team skills, engages student-athletes in an appropriate strength and conditioning program, and balances commitment to the team with academic and civic commitments. The work includes planning of game-day activities for home games, which includes player and team preparation, recruitment of scorer’s table volunteers, coordinating officials, and coordinating with Physical Plant and other college staff.
Personal Contacts: The head coach interacts with a wide variety of people in a professional and enthusiastic manner such as students, student-athletes, and fellow employees. The head coach interacts frequently with program volunteers, representatives of the Dawson College Foundation, members of the press, parents and prospective students, fans and the public.
Essential Functions: This position requires the ability to: communicate orally and in writing; read written material; adhere to written policies and procedures for all recruiting, and retention activities; decide how and where to spend the budgeted funds; assist in the production of press releases and public service announcements; recruit students; and coordinate college events. Position must be physically able to operate a vehicle; flexibility to travel and be away from campus for up to three weeks at a time; sit and stand for long periods of time; carry advertising/recruiting materials weighing approximately 25 pounds; set up exhibits; move and haul advertising and recruiting displays; lift up to 30 pounds; fine motor skills for a computer and cameras; reach with hands and arms; perform finger and hand dexterity; use visual acuity; and be mobile. Employee must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive for long periods during morning, day and after dark; and in all seasons of Montana’s weather.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality as this position represents Dawson Community College in a variety of venues. Must adhere to all Federal and state laws and institutional policies regarding confidentiality of student records (FERPA).
- Perform all coaching duties (e.g., recruitment, practice regimen, planning, student-athlete development, competition strategy, etc.) necessary for create and maintain a competitive intercollegiate athletic team.
- Coordinate with Enrollment Management to learn about our College and Programs for recruitment purposes
- Effectively motivate, teach, develop, and supervise students from diverse backgrounds and with various levels of maturity by developing and maintaining professional and appropriate relationships with student-athletes and students involved with the team.
- Recommend team’s annual budget and manage the funds allocated to the assigned team, including tuition waivers and scholarships.
- Recruit and supervise assistant coaches and volunteers
- Oversee college and rented facilities and help ensure they are well maintained and safe for practice and competition.
- Appropriately represent the college during competition, team travel, recruitment, and when interacting with the press and the public.
- Attend department and college meetings, commencements, visit days, orientations, and other events.
- Contribute to the overall operation of the Intercollegiate Athletics department by working collaboratively with fellow coaches and college administrators.
- Coordinate local and national media for the sport by working closely with the college’s Marketing Committee to ensure a consistent unified message.
- Contribute content to ensure the Intercollegiate Athletic department website is current and informative.
- Work with the Sports Information Director to upload statistics to NJCAA website for home games and to coordinate statistics and proper reporting for away games.
- Coordinate and/or take photographs for department and college use.
- Nominate players and teams for sport, conference, and regional awards, polls, honors and special recognition.
- Assist with the development of team media guides.
- Participate in the enhancement of game-day atmosphere through music, event marketing, special appearances, and promotions.
- Assist with game film production and exchange.
- Maintain list of individual and team performance records.
- Schedule and maintain office hours as required.
- Conduct oneself with the highest integrity in all dealings and represent the college in a positive manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- Earned Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of coaching/recruitment experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent team leadership and management skills, including ability to motivate, build consensus, evaluate performance, and facilitate training and professional development.
- Maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated high quality oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel and work evening and weekends, as necessary.
- Must have valid Montana driver’s license.
- Master’s Degree
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
DCC values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and behaviors are identified as examples of what is expected of an employee:
- Display empathy and caring regard for others in written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain proficiency as needed and approved by attending trainings, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in area of responsibility.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts
- Three professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department