POSITION: Financial Aid Specialist I
DIVISION: Business and Finance
DEPARTMENT: Financial Aid
STATUS: Classified Hourly, full-time
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Financial Aid
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Work study students, Student Employees
SUMMARY OF WORK: Financial Aid Specialist I assists the Director of Financial Aid in the administration of the College’s financial aid programs. This position adheres to all federal, state and institutional financial aid programs, which provide financial support and services to current and prospective students. The Financial Aid Specialist I must be able to manage student employees effectively and must provide oversight in developing their knowledge of the functions of a financial aid office. The Financial Aid Specialist I must be able to assist in performing financial aid functions and standard financial aid duties such as Verification, Loan Processing, Return to Title IV, Satisfactory Academic Progress, Default Management, etc. The Director works closely with all administrative offices on campus particularly Enrollment Management. The Financial Aid Specialist I will assist the Director in working with local communities and assisting with the completion for the FAFSA (financial aid nights). The Financial Aid Specialist I may have to work some evenings and weekends.
The primary responsibilities of this position include assisting students and families with financial aid options and processing federal, state and institutional financial aid applications under federal, state and college regulations. This is a full-time, hourly, classified position.
- Advise and assist students with financial aid applications and other issues and concerns as they arise.
- Coordinate and award financial aid programs to eligible recipients, inform students of missing information, and inform students if they are not eligible for financial aid programs; financial aid programs include, but are not limited to: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Student Loans, Work Study, Scholarships, etc.
- Collect and process documentation required for “Verification” of a student’s financial aid application under federal regulations.
- Conduct financial aid informational presentations to special groups, when needed.
- Help manage due dates for various federal and state reports, surveys, etc.
- Assist in updating financial aid forms, when needed.
- Computer data entry and other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain proper records retention policy and documentation of Financial Aid records storage.
- Assist in maintaining an up-to-date Financial Aid operations manual.
- Attend training workshops and conferences to learn and stay current on financial aid regulations and processing.
- Engage with customers utilizing excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Provide excellent customer service experience.
- Maintain accuracy and pay attention to details.
- Apply critical thinking skills.
- Perform functions with multiple and frequent interruptions; able to work under pressure.
- Able to analyze data, forecast, plan and solve problems.
- Accept and implement change.
- Solve problems.
- Work overtime during peak processing seasons.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Financial Aid Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the federal student financial aid programs and application process.
- 2 years of direct financial aid experience
- Valid Montana Driver’s License
- 2 or more years of Financial Aid experience
- Masters Degree
- Banner Ellucian Experience
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)
- Three professional references (names, email addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department