In 1940, citizens of Dawson County voted to establish a junior college as an extension of Dawson County High School, and the State of Montana approved the formation of the College. In 1966, the Dawson County High School Board passed a resolution to form a separate district for the junior college, and voters elected the first board of trustees to govern Dawson College. The College’s campus has been located continuously on a 300-acre parcel in Dawson County purchased in 1967. In 1976, the College name was changed to Dawson Community College.
Since 1969, Dawson Community College has been accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and/or the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education.
Dawson Community College strengthens our community by providing quality education and empowering diverse learners to achieve their educational goals.