Chemical Dependency Counseling

Montana has continuing need of entry-level Chemical Dependency Counselors who can become Licensed Addiction Counselors. Graduates from the program apply for internships and work for at least 2000 hours. The next step is to take the State Licensing Board written exam. A passing grade on the test qualifies the student for licensure as an LAC. Completion of this curriculum indicates that the graduate has acquired the necessary skills for entry-level employment as an interning CD counselor. Students who earn the designated Associate of Arts Degree in Chemical Dependency may also desire to transfer to a university to gain a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Dependency studies and then pursue licensure. The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science are transfer degrees and are awarded without designation of major, but do follow curriculum transfer plans.  These degrees indicate that a student has completed a course of study that is essentially equivalent to the first two years of a baccalaureate degree.

PLEASE NOTE: When selecting courses, students should consult the catalog of the school to which they intend to transfer.  They should then work with their DCC advisor to assure that the proper classes are being taken at DCC.  Together, the student and the advisor will select courses that will fit into the program at the transfer institution.

Mandatory CoursesCredits
CD210Individual Counseling/Helping Skills3
CD225Group Dynamics and Counseling3
CD231Drugs, Pharmacology, Society, Behavior3
CD232Seminar I: Patient Assessment, Placement and Planning, and Documentation3
CD233Seminar II: Chemical Dependence and Addiction Theory3
CD235Family Group Counseling3
CD236Seminar III: Motivational Interviewing, Culturally Effective Substance Abuse Counseling and Ethics for Chemical Dependency Counselors3
PSCI260Intro to State and Local Government3
PSYX100Introduction to Psychology3
SOCI101Introduction to Sociology3
STAT216Intro to Statistics4
Note: Many of the courses are offered alternate years. Students must also meet the general education requirements necessary to obtain the Associate of Arts Degree in Chemical Dependency Counseling.
Our Mission | EEO/AA | Contact Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Problems?
Dawson Community College | 300 College Drive | Glendive, Montana 59330
Phone: 1.406.377.3396 | Toll-Free: 1.800.821.8320 | Fax: 1.406.377.8132