Expectations for Employees
All employee expectations:
- Expect to be the first responder (response time is 6-8 minutes – most incidents are over in 6 minutes).
- Be familiar with the Emergency Management Plan.
- Participate in drills and training sessions as required.
- Walk over your primary and secondary evacuation routes at least once to familiarize yourself with emergency exits.
- Know where hazardous conditions or situations in your area may exist.
- Know the location of flammable, radioactive, biological, and other hazardous materials.
- Know where the fire alarm pull stations are located and how to turn them on.
- Know where fire extinguishers are located in your building and how to use them.
- Know the different alarm sounds, what they mean, and how to respond accordingly.
- Know where the first aid kits are located in your building.
- Learn or refresh your CPR and first aid skills.
- Identify and volunteer your skills and expertise to the emergency response team.
- If you receive information about security concerns from students, faculty, and staff, share that information with the President and the Safety Committee.
- Provide the class or audience with general information relating to emergency procedures during the first week of class.
- Assure that persons with disabilities have the information they need to execute alternate emergency evacuation routes if needed.
- Take responsible charge of the classroom and follow emergency procedures the best you can for all building alarms, emergencies, or lock-downs.
- In the event of an evacuation, the instructor shall sweep the classroom and area to make sure everyone has vacated.
Director of Physical Plant Expectations:
- Act as a liaison with the responding emergency service and others if a building emergency occurs.
- The physical plant department will coordinate necessary responses with the President or designee.
- Review the college Safety and Security Procedures and the Emergency Management Plan at least annually and ensure they are current.
- Schedule employee safety and security training.
- Coordinate and conduct fire drills with the Safety Committee.
- Notify the appropriate College personnel for all emergencies, as necessary.