International Students

Student Acceptance at a SEVP Approved School:

The first step is to apply to a SEVP-approved school in the United States. After the SEVP-approved school accepts your enrollment, you will be registered for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and receive an I-20. Once you have received your I-20, you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. You may then apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a student (F or M) visa. You must present the Form I-20 and I-901 to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.

Visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) website to learn more about SEVIS and the SEVIS I-901 Fee. Visit the Department of State EducationUSA website to learn about educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, and an overview of the application process. You can also visit the DHS Study in the States school search page to search for SEVP-certified schools.

Admission process for DCC: International Student Policy and Financial Certification.

How to Apply:

There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please consult the instructions on the embassy or consulate website

Step 1:

Once you have received your letter of admission with your I-20 form, you will need to obtain your visa at the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. Visit the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country to make an appointment. You can also check the wait time of the nearest embassy or consulate using the State Department's Visa Appointment Wait Times page. Make sure the name on your I-20 matches exactly the name on your passport.

You must have a valid passport issued by your government before you can obtain your visa to enter the United States. In order to apply for your visa, you must first pay the SEVIS fee of $350.00 for F VISA applicants. Information on the fee can be found at Print and save a copy of your receipt and bring it to your interview.

Step 2:

You must provide proof of financial support for your studies and living costs at both the visa interview and Port of Entry to the U.S. Make arrangements with your financial sponsor the ensure that the funds can be transferred as needed. The Visa officer may ask for documents showing funding that does not come directly from DCC (with such items as a letter of award or support, a bank statement, etc.). You should plan for enough money to cover various first semester expenses.

Step 3:

When you receive your visa, you can make arrangements for your travel to Dawson Community College. You can arrive in the United States up to 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20.


Glendive has a small regional airport. The closest international airport is Billings Logan International Airport ( From Billings, you will be able to schedule a flight to Glendive.

Please remember that you are not allowed to enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20 or 7 days after the start date on your I-20; if you attempt to enter the U.S. outside of this window you may be denied entry at the border. 

The DCC campus is located outside of town, so will need transportation to get to the local stores. We have an urban transit bus that is available. Please see the following link for additional information

You can purchase a vehicle. However, this can be very expensive. The cost of maintenance, insurance, license plates, major repairs and operating costs far exceed the actual cost of the car itself. If you have to purchase a car, be sure to go with someone who knows about automobiles and their standard prices. 

  • A valid driver’s license is required to operate an automobile in Montana. In order to obtain State of Montana driver’s license, you must pass a written, a vision and a driving test. To schedule an appointment and learn more about the process go to
  • International Driver’s License & Foreign Driver’s License
  • In Montana, an International Driver’s License (or a driver’s license from a foreign country) is only valid for 120 days after your arrival. These licenses are not transferable to a Montana driver’s license; therefore you must apply and take the examinations for a Montana license if you wish to drive after 120 days of your arrival. For more information, call DMV at 406-365-4330
  • Your motor vehicle must be titled and registered at the county treasurer’s office. You must pay all taxes and fees at that time. Fees vary based upon the size and age of the vehicle. Once your title process is completed, you will be issued a license plate.
  • State law requires that all motor vehicles carry adequate liability insurance at all times. You need to purchase the insurance from an insurance company. Different companies offer different rates and coverage, depending on your age, gender, and driving history
  • You will have to "winterize" your car by adding sufficient antifreeze to the radiator and window washer in order to prevent freezing and engine damage; replacing motor oil; and installing snow tires.

Health Insurance:

International students on an F1 visa do not have any government related health insurance requirements to meet when studying in the U.S. Please visit the following site for additional information

Health care in the U.S. is very expensive. Most health insurance policies rarely pay for 100% of the expenses. Here are some suggested insurance options:

Staying healthy is essential to your academic success and adequate insurance ensures you get the care you need to maintain good health. Unexpected medical bills can also threaten your ability to complete your educational objective.

Dawson Community College provides this material for information purposes only.  DCC maintains no responsibility for the selection and/or purchase of health insurance.  All students are strongly encouraged to research insurance options that will meet their specific medical needs.


You should plan to arrive with enough money to cover your expenses for the first few weeks. After you arrive, you should establish a bank account. A bank account is more secure and will ensure that you receive the proper exchange rate.


Employment is highly regulated and strictly enforced for F-1 visa holders. Individuals who are discovered working illegally will be required to leave the United States.

If you have questions regarding employment, visit the Registrar’s Office before you begin working.  

Social Security Number:

What is a Social Security Number (SSN)?

  • A SSN is a tax identification number. A SSN is only required if you will be receiving payment, honorarium, or a stipend from a U.S. based employer. It is used by employers for payroll. It is also used for credit reporting, which is why some businesses use it on account applications.
  • In general, only non-citizens who have permission to work from DHS can apply for a SSN.

Documents for a SSN application?

  • You need the SSN Application.
  • Your passport, I-94 (entry record), I-901 and form I-20.
  • A letter from your employer stating you are employed.
  • A letter from PDSO/Registrar stating that you are maintaining status and are eligible to work.

When you apply for the SSN, you will receive a receipt. You will give the receipt to your employer, which will allow you to work until your SSN arrives (3-4 weeks).

Your SSN should be carefully protected. Identity thieves can use this number in financial scams.

Taxes must be filed by April 15th each year for funds earned the previous calendar year.

Contact the Registrar’s Office if you have any questions about employment.

Upon Arriving in the U.S.:

You are required to check in with the DCC Registrar’s Office within 15 days after your arrival in the United States or immediately if you arrive after the start date on your I-20. You will then be activate in SEVIS in order to guarantee your legal status in the U.S.

Climate in Glendive:

Example of I-94: