Dual Enrollment

For Parents

Wouldn't it be great if your student could enter college with a semester or two of credits already completed and paid for? It's possible with Dual Enrollment!

Who is eligible?
High school juniors and seniors or other students over the age of 16 and attend one of the high schools in DCC's service area (see list) are eligible for dual credit.

How much does it cost?
Concurrent enrollment (taking a class taught at the high school for for both college and high school credit) is free of charge.
Early Start (taking a class taught by the college online or on campus) is half tuition and no fees. For an in-district student, taking a 3-credit Early Start class would pay $120, instead of $424.50, for full tuition and fees!

What courses are available?
Each high school offers a different set of Dual Enrollment classes. The high school counselor will know which courses are available each semester for dual credit. Early Start offerings vary by semester. Current course schedules can be found here.

How can my student apply?
Students should print and fill out the Dual Enrollment Application found here. It can be returned to DCC or the high school counselor. If your student is under 18 years old, you will need to sign it as well. 

What is the difference between AP and Dual Enrollment?
For AP classes, you have to pay for and pass a standardized exam with a specific score in order to earn credit. Passing AP scores are accepted for different credit amounts or make replace certain lower-level courses, depending upon the college or university. After you complete a Dual Enrollment class, you are awarded a grade and college credit, both of which will be recorded on your college transcript. 

Will the credits transfer?
DCC is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities; we also follow the Montana University System's Common Course Numbering System, which allows our classes to transfer throughout the state. Generally, most academic courses in which a student earns a "C" or higher will transfer, but make sure to check with the college the student will be attending to confirm.

How is payment made?
Dual Enrollment students will be mailed a bill within the first few weeks of enrollment. The bill can be paid by mailing a check to Dawson Community College (300 College Drive, PO Box 421, Glendive, MT 59330) or by contacting the business office at 406-377-9423 to provide credit card information. 

Students are responsible for complying with applicable campus payment policies, procedures, and methods. Failure to pay for a course may result in a student being dropped from the course or may impede the ability to register should the student enter DCC full-time.

Will I have access to my student's records?
Students enrolled in courses at both a high school and a postsecondary institution provide a unique situation. While the student record rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 belong to the parents/guardians with respect to high school records, they belong to the student with respect to postsecondary records. As such, instructors and other DCC staff and administrators will communicate directly with your student on all matters. DCC strongly encourages parents/guardians of Dual Enrollment students to respect the student's ownership of his/her education record at the college level and seek ways to gain that information while safeguarding the student's rights and responsibilities.

How do we access grades and transcripts?
With the student's approval on the Dual Credit/Enrollment Student Authorization for Release of Information form, grades will be released and mailed to parents, the school district, and the high school. Students also have access to their grades and transcripts through our online student information system. A student will need to have their student ID number in order to access the information. Transcripts may also be requested by contacting the campus at 406-377-9400. Transcript fees may apply.

What if my student requires accommodations?
Students with disabilities for which accommodations may be necessary who are taking Early Start courses should contact the Office of the Dean of Academics and Student Affairs at 406-377-9434 to coordinate a request for disability assistance. Accommodations for Concurrent Enrollment courses will be made through the high school. 

Still have questions?
Contact Erica Milne, DCC Director of Enrollment
406-377-9403 or emilne@dawson.edu