Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where is Dawson Community College located?

    The college is situated on top of a bluff overlooking the town of Glendive, Montana on the edge of Makoshika State Park. There are sweeping views of the eastern plains, the Yellowstone River, and an endless blue sky.

  • Why attend Dawson Community College instead of going right to a university?

    DCC offers courses that are equal to the first two years of study towards a Bachelors degree. This is of great benefit for U.S. and international students because it is less expensive, the class size is smaller, and faculty members are more accessible to students. Students can complete their first two years at DCC and then transfer to a university to complete their Bachelor’s degree for their final two years.

  • 2+2 Agreements: Where can I transfer after I complete my first two years of college at Dawson Community College?

    Dawson Community College has worked out agreements called 2+2 Agreements with many fine universities that students can transfer to. Counselors at DCC and these colleges can help through the transfer process.

  • What are the costs?

    Dawson Community College tuition and fees chart.

  • What are the steps I need to take in order to become a student?

    Follow the steps on the application, if you need help, contact student services for assistance completing the application or with appropriate supporting documents.

  • Is health insurance needed?

    Dawson Community College offers no mandatory student health insurance program. Student health insurance is available through local banks and insurance agents.

  • What are the steps I need to take in order to become a DCC student and what documents do I need to provide?

    First, you need to apply for admissions! You can do that here. Once we receive and process your admissions application, we will be contacting you to make sure that you provide the following documents:

    • Official High School transcript
    • Any Official College transcripts you may have
    • Immunization records
  • Can you tell me more about your online learning opportunities?

    DCC offers a wide variety of classes and degree programs fully online. Programs that can be completed fully online include: Early Childhood Education, Business Management, Criminal Justice, Chemical Dependency Counseling, as well as the Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) transfer degrees. You can also complete certificates online in Early Childhood Education, Human Resource Management, and Rural Organization Employee Management (ROEM). 

  • I’m not sure what to major in. What if I choose a major and end up wanting to change it? Is that possible?

    Quite a few students come to college hoping to explore some degrees before making a decision. In fact, about ⅓ of students who go to community college end up changing their major at least once before they graduate. If you start off in a major and decide that it’s not a good fit, you can work with your academic advisor to check out other options, and together, we can find the program that’s right for you. 

  • How do I apply for Financial Aid?

    Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or, if you are a continuing student, complete the Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid. 

    Apply for an FSA ID and password at, select “FSA ID” from the top of the page. You will use your FSA ID and password as your electronic signature on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are a dependent student, one of your parents should also apply for an FSA ID and password. S/He will use this FSA ID and password to electronically sign your FAFSA. 

  • What is work-study?

    Work-study is a federal job program. Eligible students work a maximum of 19-hours per week on campus and receive a monthly paycheck for the time they work. To be eligible, you must have a completed financial aid file that demonstrates financial need, be enrolled in school, and maintain satisfactory academic progress toward your degree.

  • Does DCC have on campus housing and dining services?

    We have both! Our on-campus housing is super spacious and comfortable. It is more like apartment-style housing rather than a typical dorm room that you may see at a lot of universities. The apartments include a kitchen with a full fridge and stove, a living room, two bedrooms, and a bathroom to share. 

    There are two different meal plan options for students to choose from at DCC. The first one is for approximately 10 meals per week option for $1,500.00 per semester. The other option is for approximately 16 meals per week option for $2,100 per semester.

  • How do I apply for housing and can I request a roommate?

    Click here to fill out the housing application!

    You can request one or more specific roommates on the housing application!

International students

  • What is an I-20 and when will I get mine?

    An I-20 is issued by the accepting college and enables a student to apply for a student visa (F-1). Student visas may only be obtained outside of the United States and are issued at Consular Offices and Embassies. DCC may accept a student and issue an I-20 when their admission qualifications are met.

  • The application says I must provide proof of financial support. What does that mean?

    United States law requires schools to receive proof from students that they have financial resources to pay for their education. Schools will need to review this information for meeting the financial responsibilities before issuing an I-20.

  • What is the TOEFL score?

    The Test of English as a Foreign Language exam is used to meet admission criteria. It is not used for placement purposes. Students will take placement assessment tests upon their arrival at DCC.

  • May I work while I am in the United States on a student visa?

    Students may be eligible to work on campus for a limited number of hours. You must keep in mind that the purpose of an F-1 visa is for study, not work. Students should check with DCC student services for additional information.