Dawson Community College is dedicated to providing quality and affordable education to veterans and their families. We are not the VA but a liaison between the student, college and VA.
Benefits description by chapter:
- Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill ® Active Duty
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill ® (Includes Transfer of Eligibility) / Fry Scholarship
- Chapter 35 Dependents Education Assistance
- Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Reservist or National Guard / REAP
Applying for VA Education Benefits
For Veterans, family members, a candidate for the National Call to Service Program, or if you are changing schools apply for VA education benefits: www.vets.gov
- Veterans will need to provide start and end dates for their military service and all applicants will need to provide their bank account and routing number for direct deposit.
- Follow the directions on the website, if you have problems contact the VA Coordinator.
- Complete the selected form. (Write down confirmation information)
- After the application is completed, the VA will notify you of the status.
- (Chapter 33 ONLY) You will need to provide a copy of the Certificate Of Eligibility (COE) to the VETS Office, and we need to have a copy on file dated within one year from the start of each semester; otherwise, we cannot give the VA estimated credit to help pay/finalize your bill. We recommend turning in a COE every time the VA sends a new one.
*YOUR BILL IS ULTIMATELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY
Submit your military transcripts: https://jst.doded.mil/smart/signIn.dod
- Click “Register” under “Register to use this system” at the top of the page and complete registration.
- At the top of the main page, click Transcript.
- Click on Official Transcript Request. (Electronic)
- Search “Montana.”
- In the search results, find Dawson Community College.
Apply for Federal Financial Aid: www.fafsa.ed.gov
- We advise students to apply for FAFSA even if you are not planning to accept loans.
- You will need your tax return information for the previous two tax years.
- You are NOT required to accept federal financial aid if you apply. Keep in mind, if you accept a financial aid student loan package, you will still be required to pay it back later.
Tuition Assistance (TA):
- The Accounts Receivable Office is your Point Of Contact (POC) to process payments at DCC.
- The Montana Army National Guard Education Center is your POC for TA process questions.
- TA CANNOT be used for the same classes you use Chapter 1606 benefits for.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) CONTACT THE VA COORDINATOR DIRECTLY WITH FURTHER QUESTIONS
- Q: When will I receive my Pell grant?
- A: Student accounts does not charge the VA tuition and fees until after the third week of class; once the VA payment is received, the school will refund any remaining positive balance.
- Q: Why is the school saying I have not paid my bill?
- A: It is a student’s responsibility to pay their bill, regardless of which benefit you are using. Paying your bill is finalizing your registration.
- Q: I am not a Montana resident, how can I get residency?
- A: Each individual has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis for residency or the Yellow Ribbon program based on military service by a School Certifying Official from the VETS Office.
- Q: When will I receive my housing allowance/monthly stipend?
- A: Housing/stipend payments from the VA are made in arrears, meaning payments are paid on the first of the month for the previous month’s eligibility. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill