New students are required to take ACCUPLACER placement testing in reading, mathematics, and English.
ACCUPLACER assessment results are a tool used by academic advisors to ensure student success by placing them into courses that are consistent with their skill level. Many college courses have pre-requisites of a basic aptitude in reading and writing before a student may enroll in that course.
Exceptions from the ACCUPLACER placement test are approved if ACT or SAT exam scores are at or above the following:
Reading Score ≥ 19
Math Score ≥ 22
English Score ≥ 20
Reading Score ≥ 480
Math Score ≥ 520
English Score ≥ 440
Exempt from ACCUPLACER: Students that have taken:
- the ACT or SAT exam within the last three years and have achieved the scores above,
- or have completed the Accuplacer Exam at another accredited college or university.
Exempt from writing: Students may be exempt from the writing portion of the ACCUPLACER test if they have:
- a 3.5 or higher on the Montana University System Writing Assessment (MUSWA),
- a 7 or higher on the SAT Writing Essay and a reading score of 480 or above,
- an 18 or higher on the combined English/Writing section of the ACT and a reading score of 19 or above or,
- a 7 or higher on the Writing section of the ACT and a reading score of 19 or above.
Exempt from mathematics: Students may be exempt from the mathematics portion of the ACCUPLACER test if they have:
- achieved the reading and mathematics scores above on the ACT or SAT,
- successfully completed college-level mathematics and writing courses at an accredited college or university or,
- been awarded a two-year or four-year degree from an accredited college or university and provide DCC’s Admissions Office official transcripts.
Students who do not meet the requirements for exemption, which prove their readiness for college-level work, are required to take the recommended courses in their first semester. Students who score below college-level on the reading and writing ACCUPLACER test will be limited to developmental coursework until they either complete and pass the necessary developmental class or improve their ACCUPLACER test scores.
ACCUPLACER scores will be valid for one year from the date of the original assessment, and students are permitted no more than two retests per subject area each semester.
ACCUPLACER Scheduling and Costs
Notify the Admissions Office via email so testing arrangements can be made. Please bring your valid photo ID with date of birth displayed to the Student Services Offices in the Main Building a half hour before the scheduled test to check in.
If you are attending Dawson Community College the full ACCUPLACER battery (reading, writing, and mathematics) is Free.
Though ACCUPLACER is untimed, please plan at least one and a half to two hours to complete your ACCUPLACER testing. Please keep in mind the hours we are open when you call to schedule your ACCUPLACER testing appointment. To schedule, please call 406-377-9400.
ACCUPLACER Study Materials
Sample ACCUPLACER questions are available on the ACCUPLACER website
You may also download the free study app for the ACCUPLACER Reading, Writing, and Math tests at their website by providing an email address and creating a password.
There is a “Learn as You Go” mode with instant feedback on each question you answer of a “Sample Test” mode to give you an entire test before scoring your answers.
Remote ACCUPLACER Testing
The DCC Adult Education and Career Center is also a ACCUPLACER remote testing site. DCC students who cannot take the test at DCC should set up a remote test at an official ACCUPLACER testing center near them (please note that the ACCUPLACER may not be taken at home or at any institution or business that is not specifically authorized to offer ACCUPLACER). These students will need to schedule their remote test through the DCC Adult Education and Career Center, and Center staff can help students determine the remote testing center nearest them. Students will be responsible for paying any fees required by the remote testing site.
Students needing to take a ACCUPLACER test for another institution should register through that institution, then schedule a testing time at DCC.